Friday, April 20, 2018

SUN TEA JAR THRIFT STORE FIND

This is something my Mom found in a thrift store once upon a time and we just recently found it when emptying another box I had put in the barn. 

Vintage Solar Tea jar
Has anyone ever made the Southern treat "Sun Tea"?  It's made by steeping tea bags in a jar (usually a gallon) of water in the sunshine.  The sun heats the water and steeps the tea.  It really does taste different.

Well this is a glass jar and dates from the 1970's.  It's pretty neat.  It's a round bubble shaped glass jar and all the parts fit into the top just like this for storage.  This has obviously never been used.  


Here are the different tops all spread out...it even has the original instructions!


The first part is the domed lid that allows sunshine to come in through the top as well.  Pretty neat.  


The other part is an actual pour spout.  You just unscrew the ring, remove the dome lid and replace with the spout and screw the ring back down.  

Can't wait to use it when it gets hotter.  It will be nice to have a glass of cold sun tea after I finish mowing.

There is some controversy about Sun Tea and it's potential dangers.  I can say I had it for years growing up and never had an issue.  But if you do make it, you must follow some safety protocols.  The big worry is that it doesn't get hot enough in the sun to kill bacteria as opposed to boiling water in a tea kettle.  Need to do some more research on that but hey, people have been doing it for decades, and they haven't "banned" them yet so as with anything, follow the rules.  



16 comments:

  1. What a cool looking Sun Tea jar.
    I make Sun Tea every summer and put a couple of sliced lemons in with mine, plus I also use filtered water and not faucet water. I set my jar right where it gets the West,Hot afternoon sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. Good idea on filtered water and the lemons are a good idea. Plus you're right it needs the hottest, most direct sun.

      Delete
  2. Another great find - this time from your own box of surprises! What a great reminder of your mom and your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Thank you. As I organize the barn and start unpacking more things, no telling what I'll find, ha.

      Delete
  3. I never had ill effects from sun tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Same here. It's just if you google sun tea, you might think you'll die at any moment. ha.

      Delete
  4. What a nice surprise and memory of your childhood.
    I would be concerned about the health risks of old clear plastic exposed to sun and heat, I am sure you could make this idea work with a glass container and an upturned glass bowl or saucer for a lid, it's also a better conducter of heat than plastic.
    Have fun experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, thanks for this, I never thought about that. I'll see what I can find. Great suggestion.

      Delete
  5. I whole heartedly agree with Abbeysmum. Put that one up for an artifact and enjoy looking at it. Your mother would want you to be safe.

    At one point, Cracker Barrel sold Sun Tea makers for about $25 while at the same time Dollar General had the identical maker for about $5.

    I know you are enjoying all these memories from your childhood.







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words!! I will look for a glass bowl/dome that would accomplish the same things.

      Delete
  6. Getting into home brewing 'Texas Tea' at the farm? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not that kind of brewing........YET! That's on the list of things to learn, for sure!!

      Delete
  7. 1st Man,
    Nice tea jar! I've made sun tea with a glass picture tea bags, and water sitting in the sun. It's a very convenient way to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can make the same kind of sun tea with your fresh mint and lemon balm. It's delicious. Just rinse the herbs and plunge them into the warm water to steep the same as the teabags. Delicious, and another great way to use that mint that grows so prolifically.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to make sun tea every summer. We just used a big glass jar--I imagine it had housed pickles at one time! I've never heard of there being any kind of ill effects from it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!