Wednesday, April 18, 2018

SHEET PAN MONGOLIAN BEEF RECIPE

We're still trying out sheet pan recipes. Anything that cooks in one pan is nice.  Now this does mess up an extra dish (a bowl) due to the sauce but it's worth it.  The first time I made this 2nd Man said "wow, you need to make this again".  Now he asks for it regularly. Yes, I give him the night off from cooking on occasion, ha!

Sauce ingredients
First you make a basic sauce.  It is a mixture of 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 3 TBSP sherry, 1 TBSP minced ginger, and 6 cloves of garlic, minced.


Just put it all into a bowl and whisk together.  


Next, take 1 LB of trimmed green beans (we cut ours in half as well) and toss on a sheet pan with 1 tsp of red pepper flakes and 3 TBSP of coconut oil. You could use any oil but trust us when we say the coconut really adds a great flavor. Toss it all together and put in a PREHEATED oven at 450 degrees. Roast for about 7-10 minutes.

Slicing flank steak
While the beans are roasting, slice the flank steak against the grain into thin pieces.  If they are too long, just cut each thin strip in half to make more bite sized pieces.


Remove the beans from the oven and set the sheet pan aside for a moment.


Toss the sliced flank steak in 1/4 cup cornstarch and allow to sit for a few minutes.


You know it's ready when you see that it has absorbed into the meat.


Move the green beans to the outside edges of the sheet pan...why?


To make space in the middle to spread out the meat.  Try to get it in one layer as much as possible so they will get the same sear that they would in a wok.


Roast at the same 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
But wait, where's the sauce? 


Take the sheet pan from the oven and pour the sauce over the meat, toss and put back in the oven for about 5 to 10 more minutes or until...

Sheet Pan Mongolian Beef and Green Beans
...it's browned and the sauce has started to turn into a glaze.  


Stir it all up so that the sauce gets all over the green beans and it's done and ready to serve.

Mongolian Beef with Green Beans
Dish it into bowls and serve!  We sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and some diced green onions just to add a bit of extra flavor and, of course, a pretty appearance.

Enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. YUM. That looks Delicious.
    Now this is where a person could add asparagus right along with the green beans
    Making out my grocery list so will be adding a few more ingredients so that I can make this pan dish this weekend. But for me; I will have to leave off the pepper flakes and add a pinch of cayenne in place of. I do have a tiny measure spoon set that says; a Nip, a Smidgen, a Pinch, and a Dash
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This looks fantastic! I am definitely going to try this soon! Many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious, as usual. How tall are the sides of the pan? Now, I must go find something to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. Would the food police arrest me if I left out the Sherry, and used asparagus / broccoli in lieu of GB? If not, this is coming to a kitchen near me very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This would be a great dish for the fresh green beans which will be coming out of our gardens soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wondering. I was buying coconut oil for the first time for this recipe but it says it’s smoke point is only 350 degrees and the dish is cooked at 450. Will the oil smoke or burn? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used coconut oil and it did not smoke or burn, Peony.

    That said, this was AMAZING! That flank steak was unbelievably tender and delicious! And it all came together so quickly and easily. It's so great for a last-minute supper because there's no marinading.

    I used separate pans lined with heavy-duty foil for the steak and {asparagus} because I made a double batch of both.

    Next time I think I will add 1 tbs of dark toasted sesame oil to the sauce, and try Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) instead of the crushed red pepper.

    This recipe is going into permanent rotation in our house. Thank you so much for featuring it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!