Wednesday, May 10, 2017

DEWBERRY CAKE RECIPE

Whoa, wait what?  Here is something that is SO wonderfully delicious. Dewberry cake.   

Oh, and guess who made it?
ME!  1st Man made it!

Ingredients for Dewberry Ricotta cake
I always like to get the ingredients all out and ready to go.  This includes a cup of our frozen dewberries, our homemade vanilla and some of the farm eggs from 2nd Family's chickens.  I also lined a 9" cake pan with parchment paper and lightly sprayed the bottom and sides with cooking spray.

This recipe requires two bowls, one for the dry ingredients and one for the wet.  The best part is that it is all done by hand, no mixer required.

Dry bowl and wet bowl
The dry ingredients are put in one bowl; flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.  Stir to combine (whisk or fork, whichever you have). 

The other bowl has the wet ingredients, the ricotta, eggs, and vanilla.  Stir until smooth.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine.  Then add the melted butter and fold again until just combined. 

Dewberry cake batter
Add 3/4 cup of the dewberries (you could use any berry at this point, raspberry, blackberry, etc) and set aside the remaining 1/4 cup. GENTLY fold them in.  

Cake batter
No heavy stirring here, you just want them dispersed throughout the batter without breaking them up.  

Dewberries on top
Scrape batter into the prepared cake pan.  Take the remaining 1/4 cup of berries and scatter them around the top.  No stirring this time, you just let them sit on top while it bakes.  

Dewberry Cake
Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  I set the timer for 50 minutes, checked it and it was a bit damp on the toothpick so I put it back in for 5 more minutes and it was perfect!

Slice of Dewberry Cake
Let it cool for about 20 minutes then turn the cake out of the pan, it should just come right out (be careful and be sure to peel off the parchment if it's still on the bottom of the cake).  Turn it back upright and slice into it when you are ready.  WOW...

Dewberry Cake
I served it to 2nd Man as a surprise (he was out when I made it).  I put the slices on plates, sprinkled with powdered sugar and we dug in.  It was AMAZING.  We both describe this as a cross between a cheesecake and a pound cake.  He talked about it for a couple of days (which was about as long as it lasted).  I guess I did well!  

It was nice paying him back for all of his good meals. 

ENJOY!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick (half cup) unsalted butter - melted
1 cup berries - frozen is best


25 comments:

  1. Oh YUM!! That looks fantastic! That was a very sweet (pun intended) surprise for 2nd man :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you did there, ha. Thanks it was so good!!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Both of you can cook amazingly well. Lucky! That looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy cooking. I'm more of a recipe follower, 2nd Man just goes in and makes it up as he goes along (and it always comes out amazingly delicious!)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful, delightful sweet and thoughtful surprise for 2nd man.
    Looks Delicious.
    Well, I guess there are no leftovers for the rest of us to try....darn.
    Wonder how a little dollop (hubby doesn't know dollop. His dollop is 1/2 container of cool whip) of cool whip or fresh whipping cream would be with this.
    Gosh, my mouth is watering and drooling already. Tip: When using cool whip add a small amount of almond flavoring/extract and mix well. Makes it extra special; especially with pumpkin pie, cherry or apple pie,on top of a good brownie, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was yummy for sure and yep, gone in two days, ha. I like that tip, sounds wonderful. I've always loved cool whip, I bet almond would be wonderful. Thanks!!! Now I'M hungry!

      Delete
  4. You had me at dewberry. And cake. Haha! Nice job and great surprise for 2nd Man (magazine worthy pics too). Saw your picture on the Monday post , nice looking guy AND can garden AND cook! Sigh. 2nd man is lucky. Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for that. I'm just as lucky! ;-). Come back and visit, nice to see new friends!

      Delete
  5. this looks great! i'll make it when my blackberries ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try this with some of my blackberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, they would be wonderful (and pretty much the same!)

      Delete
  7. ACK! SEND SOME OF THAT CAKE NOW OR THE OFFER TO LIVE ON OUR SWAMPLAND IS DONE! bahahahaha! that cake looks soooo delicious! good on ya 1st Man!!!

    sending love to you both, as always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about if we ever have to come live up there, we'll bring our entire stash of dewberries and I'll make one a week to earn my keep!?!?! LMAO!!!!!!! Love to you both!

      Delete
    2. that sounds like an acceptable offer - bahahahah!

      Delete
  8. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Looks delicious and I am so going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. It's odd with the ricotta but that's the secret. It's so good. Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Well, I see you are using aluminum-free baking powder. Good for you. That looks and sounds delicious. By the way, Even though I have parchment paper, I use waxed paper. Plus, I do put butter on pan before the paper is put down. This advice is only for others since you do it your way. Also, once you flipped the cake out, it appears you flipped it back since that looks like the cake is right side up. Right? Now, I need to get out the rest of the blueberries in the freezer that I was wondering how to use rather than eat out of hand, not that they are not delicious plain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's the only kind we use. Aluminum in any form is so bad for people. We even cover our foil with parchment so it doesn't contact food when we have to cover something. Good suggestion about the wax paper, thank you!! And I corrected the post to reflect the flipping, thanks!!

      Delete
  10. That looks wonderful!!! I wonder how many people will be asking what is AP Flour? (I had to google it .. All Purpose Flour) ... Never saw it abbreviated before. Good juicy fresh berries are probably the thing I miss most after moving from various Seattle WA locations to AZ ... They grow good here but the "dry heat" takes away the juice before you get the berries!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AP Flour, it's so funny you said that, I looked at my post and didn't see that, then realized it was on the label in the photo, ha. Yes, we started calling it that just as a "hey when you go to the store pick up some AP flour" and when I made those labels, that was a habit, ha.

      I never thought about the heat drying out berries like that. That's too bad. At least you don't have all the rain, right?

      Delete
  11. What a delicious surprise for 2nd Man! This looks sooo good! And it’s so easy. I’ll have to try this very soon! Thanks for the recipe. You are a man of many talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks he was surprise (and this came together quickly). Try it I think you'll love it. And blushing at the compliment. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Hey Mike!!! And "I" made it, ha!! Thanks so much always enjoy seeing you pop over to visit.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!