Well, they are done, except for planting! But hey, that's the fun part! So at the risk of boring you, here are some before and after pictures. It was a lot of work but I enjoy sharing the fruits of that hard work.
This is the water faucet area. It was a mess. First, I cleaned it all out and then put down (missed the picture) the same weedblock fabric that we have in the garden.
After I did that, I filled it up with gravel. Actually, after this photo was taken, I added four more bags of gravel. It's the medium size gravel, in between pea-size and large. We wanted it to be easy to step on as we hook up hoses and such but not so small that it washes out easily. This was the perfect in-between size gravel (and it's SO pretty when it's wet).
Notice, the faucet is not centered in the flowerbed. We could have started the next section with an even space on each side of the pipe but we needed space for the hose. We ordered one of those hose reel things that let you put the hose inside and then roll it up via a crank on the side. Will have that next weekend and get it all nice and neat with the hose.
You can see the edge of the water faucet area with the gravel in this picture. Once I placed the end piece for that area, it was time to move onto the next section. So above is before...
...here it is with the cardboard down...
...and finally filled with soil. Ready to plant! I snapped this pic after I was finished with all of it, you can see a sneak preview of the last section already finished in this photo. But before that, here it is...
...the last section before I started working on it. Oh, that hose there? I ran over it with the mower last season and thanks to all of you, I saved it so that I can use it for the fruit trees to prevent bark/trunk damage when they get a bit bigger.
I put down more cardboard (lather/rinse/repeat, LOL), cut the timbers and put them down and in place. All that was left to do was to fill it up with soil.
Pretty! Since the timbers are in 8' lengths, I just worked in 8' sections. Instead of having one long, never-ending flowerbed from one end to the other (which could get unwieldy), we opted for smaller 4' cross sections dividing up each flowerbed. That will let us have different things in different sections.
Here is a photo taken while standing on the porch stairs looking toward the end. The part in the foreground is also 8', it's the one I blogged about HERE a couple of weeks ago, so lots of space there too. Total length from edge of stairs to the other end is 32 feet (four 8' sections).
Oh how I love clean, freshly filled flowerbeds. They have so much potential! We'll start with smaller plants so they can grow and get established. I did have a few salvia I put in the first flowerbed, we'll see how they do. We'd like drought tolerant plants and flowers, maybe a mix of perennials and annuals.
Time to go back and look at some "Inspiration Thursday" pictures from the past!