Sunday, August 2, 2015

BONES ARE NEEDED, VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY

Bones are still Needed, vintage poster image courtesy of UK Imperial Archives
Here is an interesting one.  I've found some bone posters before and this one is one I hadn't seen.  It comes from the UK and from WWII.  The woman running with the large bone in her arms (Jurassic World? LOL) is presumably taking bones to donate to make glue for housing, fertiliser, or fertiliZer as we spell it over here in the states, ha, for growing food and for other things like soap.

Can you imagine asking people to save and donate bones today?  I bet many wouldn't even know that things like glue and soap were once made that way.  I guess they are rarely used that way these days?  Still kind of fascinating!

Was at the farm yesterday for a few hours, came back into town, and now going out today to accomplish a few more tasks.  

It's H-O-T...


10 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day. The heat has given us a break here but it is very dry.

    I remember Dad always using Bone Meal when he planted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I have heard of using bone meal in gardening. Thanks for that reminder!! We are still hot and humid. Ugh. Come on Fall!

      Delete
  2. It wouldn't surprise me if they are still used for all the same purposes, but at a processor level rather than consumer level. Back then, the consumers were a lot more involved in the processing!
    Doesn't that house look more like the 1960s than the 40s? Odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does kinda look like that huh? Maybe this was just after the war? It wouldn't surprise me either, probably don't want to know, the way stuff is killed and used nowadays.

      Delete
  3. I have saw a couple of posters about this and my Mum's cookbook mentions it,, its an eye opener isn't it, sorry its so hot, we have cooler air here now,, I'll try and send some your way, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please send as much as you can. Even a breeze, LOL! That's neat that the cookbook mentions it too.. Very eyeopening for sure.

      Delete
  4. I think they are still used for those things. We had a horse pass away and the vet called a company that came out with a tallow truck. The driver told me they even pickup road kill and render it...by the way the truck stunk to high Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Wow, I had no idea that they would even come out and do that. I guess it makes sense...learned something new!

      Delete
  5. We still use bone for fertiliser at least. And I wouldn't be suprised if it is still used in some glues and soaps. Waste not, want not.
    Here in Oz we avoid the z in words as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never thought about that but it is used huh? Better that we don't know everything, ha. So wouldn't that be OS instead of OZ? Bwahahaha, couldn't resist!! :-)

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!