Monday, July 1, 2013

NATURE FINDS A WAY


Many of you will remember in May when I gave up the garden, temporarily.
I stopped watering and just let it go while I focused on other things such as planning the drip irrigation system, deciding on the layout of future beds, and figuring out how to kill the grass inside the garden.  There has been no watering and we haven't had rain in almost three weeks.

Well this weekend, I was checking things out and against all odds, two tomato plants are still alive, in fact they are growing and putting on blooms!  And in the herb bed, there are two basil plants that are also doing well.

NATURE FINDS A WAY!





This is a "Marglobe Tomato".  It's bright green, has blooms and has grown a foot or so, without watering and in the blazing heat.  It's an heirloom from 1917, and in my research I found out it is heat and drought tolerant.  I guess this proves that!  I watered it well and pulled its branches inside the   tomato cage.





The other one that has survived is a "Moby Grape Tomato", it makes small grape tomatoes and is currently covered in blooms.  It even has a few small tomatoes growing on it.  I watered it generously as well, and pulled its branches inside the cage.  Amazing how resilient some plants can be.






This is one of the herbs.  It's a regular basil plant and it has now gone for several weeks without watering, yet it's growing like gangbusters.  I did  trim it back since it was flowering (as well as the one below) after I took the picture, I just wanted you to see how well they grew without any assistance.  







This is the other basil that did really well, it's Thai Basil.  Since these varieties have done so well, I will make sure we always have them growing in the garden.  I hope to get some tomato seeds so I can plant those specific plants.  I'll continue watering them all regularly and see how they come out.

12 comments:

  1. 1st Man,

    Now that's great news, and a nice surprise :-)

    Now you'll have tomatoes and basil, just perfect for spaghetti sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum!!! Sounds good to me! I'll definitely have to put that on the menu, ha. Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. 1st Man - let your basils go to seed since they are already flowering. then collect the seeds for next year's garden. do a similar thing with your tomatoes - mark your first and best looking tomatoe on each plant - when the marked tomatoes ripen to perfection take them off the plant. DO NOT EAT THEM! although you will be very tempted. take the ripened tomatoes in the house, cut them in half, scoop out all of the seeds, rinse them and then dry them with paper towel. leave the seeds on a few sheets of paper towel for several weeks changing the paper towel every day to completely dry them out. now you have perfect tomatoe seeds for next year! and you already know that the seeds from your tomatoes and basil will do well! congrats!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are awesome. I much appreciate the instructions. I wasn't really sure how to do it. Don't eat a fresh, beautiful ripe tomato? Sacrilege!! Ha. No, I understand, and yes, that makes perfect sense. Now I just have to hope I get one of of those perfect toms! Will keep you posted.

      Delete
  3. What a nice surprise......now, don't kill them with kindness!!
    Those are TOUGH tomatoes
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I thought about that, I watered them well and they probably would go "argh, too much water!!' ha. Yes, no water for a month, and putting on blooms. Fingers crossed!!

      Delete
  4. But but, isnt that what they are supposed to do? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if we have bred plants to need us? Tomato, basil and a little feta cheese with Italian dressing is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's a good point. There are plenty of plants that do just fine out in the wild with whatever rain comes along and they produce what they produce and reseed themselves for the following year. Maybe we have bred plants to need us.

      mmm, feta cheese, one of my faves. Now I'm hungry, ha.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!