Sunday, September 30, 2012

VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY, LITTLE AMERICANS DO YOUR BIT

Little Americans Poster,  courtesy of: US Library of Congress
Here is a poster from WWI, about 1917.  As with most things from the war, it was aimed at waste and keeping food available for those fighting.

This poster was put out by the United States Food Administration.  Asking even the "Little Americans" to do their part by cleaning their plates.  It even reminded parents to use oatmeal, cornmeal mush, hominy and even rice with milk in order to save the wheat.

I wonder, do parents today urge their kids to clean their plates?  I know I grew up with that ingrained in me, don't be wasteful.  I couldn't get up from the table until I had cleaned my plate.

We should all leave nothing on our plates.

6 comments:

  1. There's never been any trouble with me leaving anything on my plate! Great poster

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto here, always cleaned my plate because that's the way my parents taught me. Neat poster, I always enjoy seeing the posters, you do a great job finding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think a lot of us grew up like that huh? Thanks for the comment about the posters. I keep finding them and I need 52 a year, ha. I think I'm good for awhile longer but since it's been over a year, I might need to start thinking about something for when I've posted them all, ha.

      Delete
  3. These days, you can clean your plate but you need to watch how much gets put on the plate! Eating out, as I do, I have to be mindful to take quite a lot home in a to-go box. The good thing is that I feed both myself and my mother on the left overs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart lady (but then again I knew that already ha). There's a fine line between being wasteful and eating too much, ha. Happy Birthday last week!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!