Monday, October 10, 2011

MIXING TREES IN THE LANDSCAPE

Mixing Crepe Myrtles into the landscape
I REALLY like this idea. Recently, I posted a blog entry about finding some Chinese Pistache trees, and using them for a windbreak across part of the property.  Alas, this isn't our yard (not yet anyway, ha). I saw this random photo online and I immediately thought how cool it would be to mix in some Crepe Myrtle trees.  No one says all the trees have to the be same all the way across the fence line.  They would grow a little faster than the Pistache and would provide faster color and detail while the other trees were catching up.  I like having a variety like this.  It adds color and texture to the landscape and that's always a good thing.  Crepe Myrtles, down here anyway, are always a good choice, they are disease and pretty drought resistant as well.  The only downside is they require the proper pruning to get them looking like this. 

But more on that when the time comes.  Until then, I think I might just go ahead and get the Chinese Pistache while I can (they are rumored to be hard to find and I found a store with dozens).  Crepe Myrtles on the other hand are found EVERYWHERE down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!