Sunday, July 17, 2011

ICED TEA IN A MASON JAR, A FARM TRADITION

It's another HOT day in Houston (so what else is new??) and thus I'm relaxing at the city house
(while wishing I was at the farm!).

I made myself a glass of iced tea, a pretty much year round staple in these Southern parts of the country.  Sweetened, unsweetened, with lemon, without lemon, everyone loves iced tea.

We've done the taste test thing in our own household, and we lean toward the Luzianne brand as our favorite.  It never gets cloudy or bitter.

Image courtesy of: Southern Living
So, as I was drinking my tea, and day dreaming of the farm of course, I was reminded of the part of my childhood spent at my Grandparents in Oklahoma.  They reused their jars, be it jelly jars or canning jars, or whatever, and turned them into durable drinking glasses for all manner of liquids.


So, today I took my iced tea and poured it into a Mason jar I had on hand and I was instantly transported back in time to a more carefree life.  For some reason, it was so comforting and relaxing.  It felt good drinking tea out of a mason jar.  I'm thinking we might just have to keep them on hand in bulk for a glass of something cold on the front porch.

Not to mention it's a great way to recycle something and use it in another way.

In a future post, I'll talk about making Sun Tea, another southern favorite.

So get a jar, pour your favorite drink into it and relax.
Life is good.
  

5 comments:

  1. Oh, now you're taking me back... what was the restaurant we used to go to that served their drinks in Mason jars??? I'm thinking it had Mason in the name or something. I might have to do that today in your honor.

    Oh, and no whining about heat. We are at 100+ today and we don't have air conditioning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's 100 with no a/c, just drink from the pitcher! LOL!

    Mason Jar Restaurant (original, ha). Still around and I totally forgot they served in Mason jars. I haven't been there in a long time, might have to check it out soon, in YOUR honor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iced tea in a mason jar is very common in my house. Considering that tea can easily be made with boiling or near boiling water and then transferred. I use to transfer my warm tea into mason jars after brewing and put it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ herbal tea; what a great idea! I didn't think about that but it makes perfect sense. We will definitely have to try that! Thanks for stopping by, please come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a trip to Houston just to cool off!! Miss you friend. Oh, and it's going to be over 100 for the rest of the week. Never been so glad to go to work!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!