Sunday, June 12, 2011

DILLY BEANS RECIPE

OK, this isn't my recipe, I've never eaten dilly beans, and this isn't even a picture that I actually took!
But when my friend Kelly mentioned them, I just had to Google it and they look and sound delicious!  I'm going to try this soon, and I'll make sure I post my pictures of the results....
Here is a recipe I found online that I think I will use:

Dilly Beans in jars
  • INGREDIENTS:


    2 pounds fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 8 sprigs fresh dill weed
  • 4 teaspoons salt
  • 2 1/2 cups white vinegar
  • 2 1/2 cups water

  • Cut green beans to fit inside pint canning jars.
Place green beans in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 3 minutes. 
Plunge beans into ice water (this stops the cooking) and then drain well.
Pack the beans into four hot, sterilized pint jars. Place 1 clove garlic and 2 sprigs dill weed in each jar, against the glass.
Add 1 teaspoon of salt to each jar.
In a large saucepan over high heat, bring vinegar and water to a boil.
Pour over beans.
Put the lids and rings onto the jars and process for 10 minutes
in a boiling water bath


You can also just put these in the jars and keep them in the refrigerator without canning/processing them, they will last a few weeks, just eat them and keep them refrigerated.
____________________________________

Can't wait to try this and see how it tastes.  It certainly seems pretty easy, as canning goes.
And if I can make preserves and jams and salsa, how hard can this be?  Famous last words!
I'll keep you posted....

7 comments:

  1. They are actually very easy to make. And they make a wonderful garnish in a cocktail, like say a bloody mary or around here old fashions. Glad I could introduce you to something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey 1st man, it amazes me how similar our posts are. I have green beans in the fridge right now that I bought from the farmer's market to make Dilly Beans with. I'm making mine a little hotter though. Here's the recipe I'll be using. Gammyshouse.com/recipes/HotPickledGreenBeans.pdf Although, these sound wonderful too. I might have to make a pint or two using your recipe. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for your kind words. I'll be checking out all of your amazing recipes as well. :-)

      Delete
  3. That's the recipe I use too - and they are addictive! I am really impressed by how straight those beans in the picture are. Mine were all curvy and nowhere near as pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with canning. This will be my fourth season and I learn more each year. On my to do list this summer are dilly beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just a canning newbie and sometimes screw up more than make it come out but I'm not giving up. I am falling in love with your recipes on your blog. Nicely done!!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!